Historically, a company’s website and blog served as the pinnacles of online marketing. In today’s world and in the future of marketing, companies are investing more and more in omni-channel marketing activities. According to HubSpot’s State of Inbound 2016 report, decentralized content distribution through digital outlets, such as YouTube, Facebook Video, and Instagram will account for the next major trend in marketing.
The Channels Marketers Plan to Use in the Next Year
While marketers around the world may not jump on the Snapchat or Slack bandwagon next year, many plan on investing in visual marketing channels. Consider these numbers from the Inbound report:
- 48 percent of HubSpot’s respondents plan to add YouTube content to their distribution channels
- 39 percent are considering Facebook Video
- 33 percent intend on utilizing Instagram
With so many marketing teams investing in visual marketing channels, each organization must consider its own channel diversification and ability to reach target audience members. New channels will increase the competition among brands and can alter the marketing landscape in coming years.
The Case for Decentralized Content Marketing
Inbound marketing focuses on consumer-based marketing tactics. Identifying with consumers and delivering valuable content translates to conversions. Additional research from HubSpot showcases the importance of diversified content in a marketing strategy.
Consumers are more likely to give their full and undivided attention to videos, social media posts, and news articles. Companies can post diversified content on their own websites, but website content may not earn new leads. To build brand awareness and optimize online visibility, brands must deliver diversified content across multiple channels. Social sharing channels allow brands to engage with consumers where they spend time.
Consider the trend of decentralizing business structures. When employees feel empowered to innovate, work, and grow, they can launch their brands into the spotlight and recover more quickly from failure. Change and diversification are key to overcoming digital disruptions. Regardless of the latest trends in digital engagement, companies with decentralized content distribution easily reach and impact their target markets.
Tips for Effectively Decentralizing Content Distribution
As interest in new channels grows and new forms of content distribution disrupt the market, marketers must explore the relevance, cost, and benefits of investing in diversified distribution. Consider these insights from HubSpot’s report as a way to manage and embrace change:
- Consider immediate and faraway technologies. Many organizations do not think about augmented and virtual reality technology as new marketing channels. However, top industry competitors are already developing systems for gaming and industry applications. Before long, the trend will hit marketing. Explore business trends in augmented and virtual reality solutions before your competitors.
- Develop a process for testing new trends. Instead of acting as a late majority or laggard technology adopter, create a protocol for testing new modes of content distribution and risk assessment. Within a trial period, invest in trends that show promise and leave underperforming distribution channels behind.
- Streamline content from channel to channel. Whether you plan to invest in video marketing in the next 12 months or not, maintain consistency within all content forms. A visitor should recognize your brand personality on YouTube, Instagram, and your website.
- Meet your audience members where they spend time. Understanding the personas within your target market should drive decentralized content distribution activities. A middle-aged professional may not use Instagram to find new information about B2B businesses, but may check out YouTube for more information. Match the content and the channel with your audience to succeed using decentralized content.
Decentralized content distribution can enhance online visibility and future-proof your business. Consider investing in one or two new channels over the next year. In the world of inbound marketing, the future looks bright for decentralized content. For more insights into the future of inbound marketing, download HubSpot’s State of Inbound 2016 report.